Friday, January 25, 2008

It Wuz You, Georgy!


BUSHY: Look, kid, I - how much you weigh, son? When you had majorities in both houses you were beautiful. You coulda been another Ronnie Reagan, and that skunk we got you for a manager, he brought you along too fast.
THEPARTY: It wasn't him, Bushy, it was you. Remember that night in the Senate you came down to my dressing room and you said, "Kid, this ain't your night. We're going for the Gang Of Fourteen ." You remember that? "This ain't your night"! My night! I coulda used the nuclear option! So what happens? McLame gets the title shot from a bunch of independants and liberals and what do I get? A one-way ticket to Palooka-ville! You was my President, Bushy, you shoulda looked out for me a little bit. You shoulda taken care of me just a little bit so I wouldn't have to take them dives for the short-end money.
BUSHY: Oh I had some judges nominated for you. You saw some Justices.
THEPARTY: You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it. It was you, Bushy.

Peggy Noonan wrote a column today blaming Bush for the parlous state that the Republican Party is in these days. Its true. Its also true that BJ left the Democraptic Party in ruins. Clinton ruins the Democrats by being a hard-brawling partisan street fighter and Bush ruins the Republicans by being a bi-partisan, almost non-partisan, administrator. And now Mr & Mrs BJ's tagteam vulgarity is tearing the Dems apart again.
But I digress. The Bush Years will come to be seen as the term of a President who ruled by beurocracy. There was no political leadership from Bush AT ALL. Even when they tried to implement a political vision, securing the growing Hispanic Vote and denying the Dems another lock-solid minority voter block, they turned to the Democrats and basically let the most radical immigration advocacy groups in the country write the bill. He didnt give Latinos credit for being smart enough to understand that conservative ideas might be to their benefit so he did what all liberal elitists do, he tried to purchase their loyalty with that terrible bill.
Pathetic. As though the Republicans can outbid the Democrats when it comes to handing out goody-bags, or compete with them for getting credit for the goody-bags; meanwhile he turned around and called his outraged base a bunch of racists for not happily going along with it.
There are a dozen instances like this. Bush has turned out to be as timid and half-hearted as his old man, and one who has also thrown away a lot of good will in the name of comity. He leaves behind a party at odds with itself. His loss.

No comments: